Friday, December 3, 2010

Construction

It is quite maddening sometimes to live in an apartment, especially one made of all concrete.  We live on the third floor, which usually is great, but on the first floor is a store that opens up outside our complex onto a little street and they are completely gutting and remodeling the store.  For the past 2 weeks, every day from 8:30 a.m. to 12 noon, then 2 (sometimes 1:45) to 5:30 p.m. (I know the schedule like clockwork)  then sometimes during the night they are working with hammers, chisels, drills, and if feels like it is inside our apartment! The sound just bounces straight through the concrete and is not absorbed one bit.   I went by one day to check it out and the workers were on break. I mentioned that we could hear it up above and they said it was not loud…I gathered my senses and realized (before I got really mad) and I told them that at the moment it was not loud because they were not working, but in the morning and afternoon it is really loud…they said “yes”.  I guess there is nothing they can say or do to  make it better, so I asked when they would be finished…oh I shouldn’t have asked…”maybe another 10 days!” they said.  I couldn’t believe it, but I am hoping that surely they won’t be drilling and everything the whole rest of the time.  Poor Laura Cate has been waking up early from her nap everyday, which makes for a long afternoon for her and for me.  Today I tried to hold her and walk around trying to find a quite place in the apartment, hoping that she would go back to sleep, but there wasn’t one and she never goes back to sleep. 

I will let you know when they are finished!  We will celebrate with nice long naps :)

No comments: